A global pandemic… 10 months of lockdown… protests… climate change… the near unravelling of United States democracy… murder hornets… (F’n murder hornets!)… how can one possibly come up with words to summarize the year that 2020 has been? Well, seems like the folks at RIP Media Group in Los Angeles, CA have succeeded in doing what most thought impossible. Click:
2020 was the scariest, weirdest, most stressful year in my lifetime. Anyone else? But, thankfully, there were many bright spots, stories of good, and we also learned so much.
New Vocabulary Words and Phrases:
Black Lives Matter, Coronavirus, COVID-19, Covidiot, Doom-Scrolling, Fauci, Flatten-the-curve, Impeachment, I Can’t Breathe, Joy-scrolling, Pandemic, Quid Pro Quo, Mask Up, Murder hornets, Social-distancing, TikTok, Zoom.
the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.. And, Murder Hornets!
How to Measure Six Feet:
Average height of a refrigerator
Length of a Giant Anteater
Wingspan of a bald eagle
A yoga mat
A dairy cow
How to play chess:
OK, we didn’t really learn how to play chess. But we did watch The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix… otherwise known as the best TV show ever!
That Climate Change Is Real:
(OK, so when I say “we”, I am referring to the entire planet minus the 100 or so Republican members of the US Congress who still deny climate change.) That is 100 people out of 7.8 billion, or 0.0000000001%. Let’s forget these doubters and deniers and the lobbies they cater to and enact real change for a sustainable, livable future!
- Australia Bushfires.. tens of millions of acres burned and 1 billion animals dead.
- California Fires.. over 4.5 million acres burned, over 8,000 fires, thank you to the 17,000 firefighters.
- 1 million people affected by flash floods in Somalia.
- Cyclone Amphan hit Bangladesh killing 100, forced the evacuation of 4 million others, and caused $13 Billion in damages, making it the costliest cyclone ever recorded.
- Flooding of the Brahmaputra River kills 189 and leaves 4 million homeless in India and Nepal.
“global warming is a total, and very expensive hoax“, Donald Trump
We Mourned the Passing Of:
- 8 Million lives worldwide lost to Coronavirus.
- 337,000 America lives lost (20% of the world’s total)
- Breonna Taylor, age 26, killed March 13, 2020.
- George Floyd, killed May 25, 2020 by a Minneapolis police who kneeled on his neck for more than eight minutes. The incident sparked international protests against racism and police brutality.
- Ruth Bader Ginsberg – Supreme Court Justice and unrelenting trailblazer for gender equality.
- John Lewis – Civil Rights icon
- Chadwick Boseman – Actor, best known for his role as T’Challa in Black Panther, died at age 43 after a 4 year battle with colon cancer. LINK: American Cancer Society’s Colorectal Cancer Screening Guidelines
We are thankful for the many good and WONDERFUL things that happened in 2020:
We recognized teachers, health care workers and essential workers as the heroes they are.
Sweatpants and pajamas became an acceptable fashion choice.
Americans rushed to adopt and foster pets.
We rediscovered the joys of cooking.
Our gardens have never looked so good.
We cherished John Krasinski’s Some Good News SGN virtual show dispensing laughter, tears of joy, and heaps of never-ending good news! Watch Some Good News Episode 1 https://youtu.be/F5pgG1M_h_U
And, for more good news, Here’s 100 Good Things and Positive Stories
And, because laughter is the best medicine. We profusely thank those who made us laugh in 2020:
Sarah Cooper and her spot-on Trump impersonations.
Melissa McCarthy and husband, Ben Falcone sharing their quarantine Happy Hours with us.
Trevor Noah, for literally every one of his Daily Social Distancing shows!
And, a special Meaningful Trips “Pure-Joy” Award goes to snorib.
What’s a snorib? @snorib is the Instagram handle for World Jump Rope Champ, Tori Boggs. Thank you Tori for a continuous stream of jumping joy in a year that desperately needed it!
What gave you joy in 2020? Please share with us in the comments below.
And, for our final goodbye to 2020…
There is no way we can do any better than the chiseled, hunky, Adonis, John Oliver, for the most spectacular adios to 2020! Have a blessed holiday. And wishes for a New Year filled with health, togetherness, peace, and, TRAVEL! OK, Mr. Oliver… take us out…